Your family will enjoy our black bean chorizo soup. The perfect answer to a cold day.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound cured chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, (or two medium), chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock (1 quart)
- 1 tablespoon Smoky Chipotle seasoning, or more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup cilantro (optional), chopped as garnish
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo in olive oil. Cook until broken apart and ﬁrm, about 5 to 7 minutes. Reserving the oil, remove the chorizo from the pan and set aside.
In the same pan, cook the onion, red pepper, celery and garlic in the reserved oil. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until the onions are tender. Add the black beans and chicken stock to the pan. Season with Smoky Chipotle and a few twists of freshly ground pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes then adjust seasoning to taste.
To thicken soup, ladle 2 cups soup into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in the reserved chorizo and simmer another 15 minutes or so.
Garnish with cilantro or top with sour cream and shredded cheese if desired. Delicious with a crisp, cheese quesadilla.
Order JK’s Seasoning HERE!